Vibrant Tarn Taran
Tarn Taran Sahib was founded by the Fifth Sikh Guru, Shri Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj Dev Ji (1563–1606). He laid the foundation of Sri Tarn Taran Sahib Temple. Tarn Taran Sahib was part of the Bhangi Sikh Dynasty ruled by a powerful Sikh family of the Dhillon Clan from 1716 to 1810.
The city has many historical gurdwaras which include Darbar Sahib Sri Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj Dev Ji, Gurdwara Guru Ka Khuh (Gurdwara of the Guru’s Well), Gurdwara Bibi Bhani Da Khuh, Gurdwara Takkar Sahib, Gurdwara Lakeer Sahib, Gurudwara Baba Garja Singh Baba Bota Singh, Gurdwara Jhulna Mahal, and Lalpur (Tapeana Sahib).
The main religious hub at Tarn Taran Sahib is Sri Darbar Sahib Tarn Taran, built by Sri Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj Dev Ji and it has the largest sarovar (holy tank) in the world.
Gurdwara Darbar Sahib (Tarn Taran)
This gurdwara is an elegant, three-storeyed structure at the southeastern corner of the sarovar. Approached through a double-storeyed arched gateway, it stands in the middle of a marble-floored platform. The upper portion of the edifice is covered with glittering gold-plated sheets. The lotus dome, damaged in an earthquake (4 April 1905) and subsequently reconstructed, has an ornamental gold pinnacle with an umbrella-shaped gold finial. Exquisitely executed stucco work in intricate designs, inset with reflecting glass pieces, decorate the interior walls and the ceiling. The Guru Granth Sahib is seated on a platform under an elongated dome covered with goldplated metal sheets. This throne was an offering from Kanvar Nau Nihal Singh. A relay recital of Kirtan goes on from early morning until late in the evening.
Har Ki Pauri
A flight of marbled steps behind the Darbar Sahib descending into the sacred pool, marks the spot where, according to tradition, Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj made the first cut as the digging started in 1590. Pilgrims go down these steps to take Charanamrit or palmsful of holy water to sip. The Sarovar – One of the largest of the Sikh holy tanks (ponds), it is an approximate rectangle in shape. Its northern and southern sides are 289 and 283 metres (948 and 928 ft), respectively, and eastern and western sides 230 and 233 metres (755 and 764 ft), respectively. The sarovar was originally fed by rain water that flowed in from the surrounding lands. In 1833, Maharaja Raghubir Singh of Jind had a water channel dug, connecting the tank with the Lower Kasur Branch of the Upper Ban Doab Canal at Rasulpur watermills, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) to the southeast. The name Tarn Taran, since appropriated by the town itself, originally belonged to the sarovar, so called by Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj. Literally it means, “the boat that takes one across (the ocean of existence)”. (Tarana in Sanskrit is a raft or a boat). According to Sikh tradition, the water of the old pond was found to possess medicinal properties, especially efficacious for curing leprosy. For this reason the sarovar was known as Dukh Nivaran, the eradicator of affliction. AKAL BUNGA, a four storied building near the Nishan Sahib (Sikh flagpole), was constructed in 1841 by Kanvar Nau Nihal Singh. Maharaja Sher Singh provided the finishing touches. The Guru Granth Sahib, “after a procession around the sarovar amid chanting of hymns in the late evening, is, brought here for the night’s rest. Manji Sahib, a small domed shrine in the eastern part of the circumambulatory pavement, marks the spot from where Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj supervised the excavation of the sarovar. A divan hall, a vast pavilion of reinforced concrete, has now been raised close to it.
Gurdwara Lakeer Sahib
It is situated at the place where a line on the ground was marked by Baba Deep Singh Ji, before entering into war against the Mughal Empire in 1757. Gurudwara Bibi Bhani da Khuh, situated near Sri Darbar Sahib Tarn Taran, is named after Bibi Bhani Ji. She was the daughter of Guru Amar Das, the wife of Guru Ram Das, and the mother of Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj Dev Ji. This religio-historic khuh (well) was dug by Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj Dev Ji, in memory of his mother, at the place where she used to serve food, water, and medicine to the needy and visiting pilgrims. Locals preserved the place with the help of Dera Kar Sewa Tarn Taran, and constructed a gurdwara.
Gurdwara Guru Ka Khuh is also situated in Tarn Taran City. This well belonged to Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj Dev Ji, and a historic gurdwara has been built at this place.
Other gurdwaras in the District of Tarn Taran are at Goindwal Sahib, namely Gurdwara Baoli Sahib, at Khadoor Sahib, at Baba Buddha Sahib (Bir Sāhib) and those at Amritsar. Goindwal Sahib Goindwal Sahib, situated along the River Beas, is 23 km (14 mi) from Tarn Taran Sahib. It is an important center of Sikhism, as Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj Dev ji was born there.
Tarn Taran has many small-scale to large-scindustries:ale
- Rana Sugar Distilliries (Village Lokha)
- Cooperative sugar mill (Village Sheron)
- World Famous Fish Market (Village Harike)
- PoultrAsia Largest y Farm (VillageGagobuha)
- Ambition Poultry Farm (VillageRure Asal)
- Tarn Taran Grain Market (one of the India’s Biggest Grain markets)
- Tarn Taran district have about 58 Rice Shellers
- Goindwal Sahib Power Plant an under construction 540 MW (2×270 MW) power plant by GVK Industries.
- Spinning Mills Goindwal Sahib
- Thread Mills Goindwal Sahib
- LT Foods Ltd